Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Unwritten Rules of The Hunger Games

Photo by:KendraKaptures
I have recently finished the book The Hunger Games and I can honestly say it is probably the best book I've ever read. I found myself staying up late to read it and I have become a HUGE fan. I just can't stop talking about it, I'm addicted. If you don't already know The Hunger Games is about a cruel game the Capitol forces 2 tributes, a boy and a girl from each of the 12 districts, to play in. This isn't your typical game though, set in the future in the county of Panem, the Capitol invented the Games to show the Districts that they have the power over the country, the Game is a bloody battle to the death, there is only one winner and losing means certain death. Although some of the rules are not written the players must know them in order to have the best advantage.

           RULE #1
The first unwritten rule of The Hunger Games is find water, shelter, and get away from everyone else as soon as possible. You have to find water because you can't live without it for very long in the wilderness, dehydration will set in quickly and kill very slowly. Shelter is probably one of the most important things, so in case a tribute decides the go off and kill everyone at night, you can stay hidden. The reason you want to get away from everyone else is because when you first start, all of the tributes are in the same place, and it's guaranteed to be a blood bath.

           RULE #2
If you trust someone enough, you can join them and become allies. Yes, this seems stupid because eventually, if you survive, you and your ally with end up having to fight. Still, this has happened often in past Hunger Games and, you know what they say, 2 is better than 1. Plus, in a group of 2 or more you have someone to keep watch for a while when you sleep in case of an emergency, and you get to split whatever food you hunt or gather, which can come in handy if you don't know how to hunt, or don't know which plants are edible. After all, "You don't forget the face of the person who was your last hope."

Even though The Hunger Games can get a little graphic sometimes, I definitely recommend it and I look forward to seeing which is better, the book or the movie. I have a feeling it's the book! Happy Hunger Games, and may he odds be ever in your favor.

3 comments:

  1. The Hunger Games SERIES! is awesome. Great Rules by the way. But you forgot one thing. The Capitol only forces the tributes to be in the games because once there were 13 Districts but they all rebelled against the capitol and that caused The Hunger Games to happen. But one district got destroyed because they rebelled for to long. So now there are only 12 districts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know was going to write about that, but by the time I got around to it my intro was already really long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you described the book, giving us back ground.It was detailed but not to the point where it is too long, I like that. I also agree I love the hunger games as well and I can't decide which is better the book or the movie, I mean the book gives so much more details, but the movie brings it to LIFE! I don't know I am still debating ha-ha. Good job Sarah I really liked your post.

    ReplyDelete